Assessment 1.1 Reflection in Action

I became an elementary paraeducator in 2019 at Evergreen Elementary School in Brooklyn Center. I have assisted Kindergarten students with their assignments and monitored lunch and recess. In these settings, I have supported social-emotional learning as well as academics.  Last spring, I organized an online Study Hall for students to get extra support from each other and me. 

As a future teacher, I think utilizing mindful awareness in the classroom setting and self-care strategies will be the core of how I sustain my energy and sensibilities for creating community in the midst of an emotionally charged setting.  At the end of my shifts now, I often leave feeling happy exhaustion. Sometimes I have wondered if, over the long-haul, the rewards of this work will sustain me through the challenges.  My experience so far suggests that it ultimately rests with me to set a tone of trusted authority and to cultivate meaningful relationships with students. I have noticed how much attention and intention it takes to fulfill these goals. Though this is hard work, I notice it is the only way to feel present with myself, the students and my colleagues. 

 

The fast pace leaves little time for staff to check their assumptions about each other and elementary school-aged children can be highly reactive to one another. Being as present as possible is the antidote. Being mindful and practicing meditation practices offsets the potential for encounters to become  treacherous. 

 

Carrying myself with attention and intention is not an intellectual endeavor.  “When we experience distress or become “stressed out,” we tend to be easily triggered and react automatically in ways we may not realize. The tone of our voice becomes harsh. We overreact. As we learn to apply mindfulness to our life experiences, we become more aware of our reactivity and perceive the triggers that throw us out of our decentered (in a good way), mindful, more accepting states of mind. In other words, by practicing mindful awareness, we can take things less personally, disrupt our cycles of negative reactivity, strengthen our attention, and engage in more effective problem-solving (Safran & Segal, 1990) (Jennings, p. 17, 2015)

 

This quote speaks to me about the integrated nature of being present, especially as a classroom teacher.

The minute I would try to intellectualize my way out of an awkward or unpleasant situation with students or colleagues would be the moment in which I left myself — the self that is linked to my values, virtues and purpose.  Everything about me that is my teacher disposition would be lost in that moment. 

 

Working through a series of workshops for this week’s assignment revealed, for now at least, my core values, virtues, disposition and purpose as a future teacher. 

 

Core values: Authenticity, Curiosity, Mastery. 

 

Virtues: Open-Minded Perspectives, Love of Learning.

 

Disposition:Reflectiveness

 

Purpose Statement: In my work with students, I am called to create a learning environment in which students can become joyful learners, create community by being good and kind friends to each other, and grow their self-esteem and self-confidence.

 


An artifact that speaks to these qualities is a rubbing stone made out of Tiger Eye.  “Get grounded, feel steady and safe, and let deep inner strength and courage shine when you turn to the practical magic of the Tiger Eye. Working to clear away negative energy, this stone is ready to tap into your third eye [insight] and help you walk through the world with pride.”(From the blog, Tiny Rituals, https://tinyrituals.co/blogs/tiny-rituals/clear-quartz-meaning-healing-properties-uses)

Comments

  1. Cindy, Thank you for sharing your thoughts and enthusiasm about becoming at teacher. Your words: "Sometimes I have wondered if, over the long-haul, the rewards of this work will sustain me through the challenges." resonated with me.

    Teachers are often (usually?) focused on the needs and care of others at school and at home. There needs to be a balance ... them and YOU! Mindfulness! Self awareness and developing the ability to self regulate puts the focus on you. The elementary classroom is high energy and at times can feel chaotic (not meaning out of control). Allowing yourself to be calm and aware of yourself as well as your students helps you to think before responding; to be proactive rather than reactive and to feel the joy of your work with your students.

    There are also many mindfulness ideas posted on the internet that are quick activities for students that focus on regulating breathing and can help them through transitions and calm them on those "full moon" type days.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CI 5980 Blog Post #4: The WHY of Authentic Assessment